Belize, formerly known as British Honduras, was the UK’s last colony on the American mainland until it received independence in 1981, when Belize became an independent Commonwealth realm. Nevertheless, it still maintains strong ties with Great Britian. Belize is distinguished from its neighbouring countries in being the only country in the Central America with a British colonial heritage and English as its official language, despite Spanish being the most commonly spoken language in the country.
Belize is considered both a Central American and a Caribbean nation with strong ties to the entire Latin American and Caribbean region. Belize is a member Central American Integration System (SICA), the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC). Belize is the only country to hold full membership in all three regional organisations.
- Capital: Belmopan
- Largest city: Belize City
- Major languages: English (official) ,Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, Maya
- Independence (from the United Kingdom): September 21, 1981
- Population: 340,844 (2014 estimate)
- Population Density: 14.1/km2 (36.6/sq mile)
- Area: 22,966 km2 (8,867 sq miles)
- Major religion: Christianity
- Currency: Belize dollar (BZD or BZ$)
- Exchange rate (fixed): US$1 = BZ$2
- GDP (nominal): Total - $1.554 billion; Per capita - $4,535 (2012 estimate)
- Time zone: CST (UTC−6)
- Calling code: 501
- Government of Belize
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belize
- Belize High Commission in London
- Belize Tourism Board
- BELTRAIDE - Belize Trade and Investment Development Service
- Amandala Newspaper
- Channel 7 News Belize
- Capitol Weekly - Belmopan Weekly News
- Belize by Naturalight - Belize travel information for vacation, investment or business
- Belmopan City Online - online portal for Belmopan , the capital of Belize
- Belize.com - great source of information on Belize: travel, history, culture and more
The Keel-Billed Toucan is the national bird of Belize.
The Black Orchid (Prosthechea Cochleata) is the national flower of Belize.